previously I outlined computer components and promised to discus each of the hardware components on independent posts.
This post gives an elaborate discos on output devices as a hardware subunit among the computer components. Previously we viewed input devices.
are devices a computer uses to give out information after processing. They can be classified into softcopy output and hardcopy output devices.
- Softcopy output devices
refers to devices used to produce intangible output that can be seen or heard e.g. monitor, speakers, data projectors,& light emitting diodes (LED).
- Hardcopy output devices
these are devices that can give out both seen and tangible computer output. Examples include printers, facsimile & plotters.
Printers can be classified into:
- impact printer – use striking mechanism on paper to make an imprint,
- non impact –use thermal, ink or laser mechanism to make an imprint on a paper.
Plotters are used for printing large architectural printouts like banners and billboards.
Before purchasing a printer, consider some general factors such as:
- print quality; non impact printers produce good quality print though impact are good for bulk tasks.
- Initial & running cost
- speed and colour of print out.
- Printing speed; usually measured in number of papers per minute.