It is therefore a good thing to always ensure that you save your work before shutting down your computer or even just a while after you begin working onto a media providing a permanent storage since RAM is a temporal storage memory.
The word random is used in reference to RAM because its contents can be accesed regardless of the sequence that was used in recording data on it.
Also read: computer data input devices
- It allows writing, retrieving, erasing and writing again of data on it as much as it still can be accessed by user.
- It is a volatile memory, it looses its contents ones the computer is shut down or goes off due to power problems. i.e work as you save your work.
- Information stored on is recovered regardless of the sequence used to store it.
- It is the fastest type of memory in a computer.
- It consumes less power compared to disk drives hence increasing battry life.
- It is a silent memory since there are no moving parts on it.
- It is not cost friendly since its pricing per bit is high.
- Space limited since computer manufacturers don’t include it in high capacities.
- It is volatile.