No matter how good the battery is on your smartphone, if you’re using it heavily, it will barely last you an entire day.

For some people the reality is even worse, with an old iPhone 5 I used to have, if I managed to get eight hours of life from it I would consider myself very lucky.

Also read: tips to make your smartphone to last for years

But this isn’t true according to a site belonging to battery company Cadex called Battery University.

They argue that leaving your phone plugged in when it’s fully charged (like say, if you put it charging overnight) is bad for the battery in the long run.

Once your phone reaches the desired 100% battery when it’s plugged in, it receives “trickle charges” to maintain the battery at full charge. This keeps the battery high-stress, high-tension state that wears down the chemistry within the battery and is bad for it in the long run.

Therefore, you should plug out your phone as soon as it’s charged, and don’t leave it charging overnight, which we guess about 98% of the population do.

You don’t even need to charge the battery fully every time you use it.

“Li-ion does not need to be fully charged as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge because a high voltage stresses the battery,” according to Battery University.

Basically, anytime you’ve a spare few minutes, you should try and plug your phone in rather than doing one mammoth charge at the end of the day.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s